There is one thing the human race can agree on, food=good. On those beautiful occasions where you take the first bite of your meal and realize it’s possible that this was the best decision of your life, it is only civil to inform others of the gem you have discovered. I compiled this list of 5 from different dining options, such as location, culture, and price, and judged it based on only one criterium; if I were to die tomorrow, what would I eat today.
- The Mellowterranean: from The Mellow Mushroom(Asheville,NC). The best pizza I have ever had the pleasure of drooling over, and from such a strange place. The mellow mushroom is pretty much a hippie joint but they hand make their dough and the ingredients are primo. This came with a delicious garlic parmesan crust, topped with onion,olives, greek chicken, feta and tzatziki sauce for dipping. Brilliant.
- Houston Combo: from James Coney Island Hot Dogs(Houston,TX). James Coney Island is the only fast food joint I would drive 20 minutes for. The Houston Combo is two Chili Cheese Coneys with fries and a drink. Oh, do you want chili and cheese on your fries? You’re damn right I do! Is that even a question?! I find myself licking the plate every time I eat there, and that is not an exaggeration. On a side note JCI cleverly uses steamed buns that are closed at the ends to avoid chili cheese spillage. Hot dog physics everyone, take notes.
- Classic Meatloaf: From Seeds Bistro(Anacortes, Wa). Don’t let the simplicity fool you or be deterred by the word meatloaf, Seeds will blow away your misconceptions about a good loaf. The shitake cream mushroom sauce ladled over the meatloaf paired with a pile of garlic mashed potatoes is a plating strategy made in heaven. You know it’s extraordinary when you feel compelled to give a bit to every person at the table to justify the fact you are on the verge of tears while eating your dinner. It was that good.
- Lemon Herb Roasted Rabbit, Seasoned Rice and Potatoes. From a cafe with no name(Olympia, Greece). You know a meal is going to be special when the waiter brings your food out and points to the little old lady that cooked it who is watching to see you take the first bite. That’s called taking pride in your work. Of course it was packed with flavor as if it had been slow roasted for hours with olive oil and lemon. It was simply spiced, there were no overbearing flavors, everything blended to subtle perfection. Let me also mention Greek potatoes are on a whole different level of potato, they really use them like a sponge to absorb flavor. Efxaristo mama!!
- Hinze’s BBQ: Hinze’s(Wharton, TX). Call me partial but this is the best BBQ in Texas. The brisket is always perfectly smoked, crisp salt crust outside and tender on the inside; truly the house made sausage is the stuff of Texas legend. There is nothing better than a lunch plate after working at my grandfather’s ranch, who just so happened to have sold Mr. Hinze the neon sign in the front for 3 chocolate pies. Oh and let’s not forget the pie, true southern chocolate pie is handmade here everyday. The perfect cap to a wood smoked meal of smoked meat and country sides.
What’s the best thing you’ve ever eaten?